[opencms-dev] Spell checker for the WYSIWYG editor

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Mar 11 09:15:02 CET 2004

> You could try integrating a different WYSIWYG editor ... you
> will need to search the mailing archives, this was discussed
> somewhere although I can't remember when and how to achieve this.
>
> Alex ... will there be a newer editor in 6 ?

Yes. OpenCms 6 has a plugin API for editors that allows to add another
editor implementation pretty quick and also as a part of a module.

Plugin API means that you can extend the workplace in a clean way, adding
another editor. All available editors are displayed in the user preferences.
The user can select the editor he wants to work with. The editor API also
does browser checking, so that even if a user has selected e.g. MS DHTML in
his preferences, but currently uses Mozilla as browser, he will get "the
best" editor available for Mozilla. Configuration for the editors is done in
XML.

For example, here's the OpenCms 6 editor configuration of the MS DHTML
editor (ie. the one-and-only editor in OpenCms v5):

<editor>
	<label>editor.title.msdhtml</label>
	<resourcetypes>
		<type>
			<name>xmlpage</name>
			<ranking>100</ranking>
		</type>
	</resourcetypes>
	<useragents>
		<agent>^Mozilla/4\.0 \(compatible; MSIE 6\.\d*;
.*\)$</agent>
		<agent>^Mozilla/4\.0 \(compatible; MSIE 5\.[56789]\d*;
.*\)$</agent>
	</useragents>
</editor>

Plugging a new editor is really easy. We have e.g. already a basic
integration of HtmlArea 3.0 that was done in less then a day.

This work is already finished in the CVS version.

We still have to do work in the Image/Download/Link gallery integration
(transfering these to JSP and making and improving the user interface).

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts