AW: [opencms-dev] More questions: reverse proxying opencms

Thomas Gagné tgagne at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 22 21:58:05 CET 2004

Daniel López wrote:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> It seems that you have OpenCMS configured to be served under the
> suffix /vpmcms/ and that might be the problem. Reading the
> documentation regarding the use of mod_proxy, you should have
> configured Tomcat to serve OpenCMS as /, not /vpmcms/opencms/. And
> then your proxy settings should look like...
> # Log only non-redirect requests in "normal" log file
> SetEnvIf Request_URI "\/opencms\/*" redirect
> CustomLog logs/localhost-access.log common env=!redirect
>
> ProxyPass         /opencms/               !
> RedirectPermanent /opencms/               http://www.vpm.at/
>
> ProxyPass         /resources/             !
> ProxyPass         /export/                !
>
> ProxyPass         /                       http://127.0.0.1:8082/opencms/
> ProxyPassReverse  /                       http://127.0.0.1:8082/opencms/

I'm unclear why you don't want to reverse proxy /opencms/, /resources/,
and /export.  Don't those directories also exist through tomcat?  Do you
ever want to see /opencms/opencms on the URL?  If so, why the
RedirectPermanent?

I need to have Apache sitting in-front of OpenCMS but it serves other
things, so reverse-proxying the root is a bad idea.  Unless I explicitly
*exclude* apache's own directories (I suppose).

I'm able to successfully reverse proxy tomcat's own /admin/ and
/manager/ locations through Apache to Tomcat using:

ProxyPass /admin/ http://localhost:8082/admin/
ProxyPass /manager/ http://localhost:8082/manager/

So I though I should be able to redirect /cmss/ to my own module using:

    ProxyPass /cmss/
    http://localhost:8082/opencms/opencms/system/modules/gagne.tgagne/
    ProxyPassReverse /cmss/
    http://localhost:8082/opencms/opencms/system/modules/gagne.tgagne/

which works for localhost/cmss/main.jsp but not for much that links off
it--especially nothing using <cms:link/>.

All-in-all, as easy as it has been to reverse-proxy IIS and other tomcat
servers, I'm confused why OpenCMS presents such a problem.

Why must it be the root application?

Should we every attempt this with static exporting enabled?

Should I run a separate Tomcat just for OpenCMS or should it be able to
co-exist with other Tomcat applications front-ended with the same Apache?

--
.tom
remove email address' dashes for replies