[opencms-dev] creating a channel

greg opencms gregsopencms at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:19:02 CET 2004

Hi helpful people !

Just getting started with OpenCms and anxious to see its "channels" feature
working.

So three questions:

1) Is a "channel" in OpenCms the same thing as a "channel" in RSS ?  (And if
not, what is an OpenCms "channel" ? )

2) Is there any documentation on OpenCms "channels" to which I could be
directed?

3) How do you create a "channel" in OpenCms?

I have tried:

a) logging into OpenCms (as a "user", "project manager" or "administrator" -
I tried 'em all), then
b) selecting the project I want to work with in the workplace's "Project"
field, then
c) selecting "Administration" in the "View" field, then
d) clicking in the "New" (sparkling magic wand with yellow cross) button,
then
e) filing out the form:
    i) Channelname: "gregstestchannel",
    ii) Title: "Gregs Test Channel",
    iii) Channelowner: left as user name of user as which I was logged in,
    iv) Channelgroup: left as group to which user as which I was logged in
belongs,
    v) Parentchannel: (?) left blank,
    vi) Channelrights: left all nine cryptic checkboxes asis, and then
f) clicking on the "Save and Exit" (floppy disk with red X) button.

Regardless of whether or not the user as which I was logged in was a "user",
a "project manager", or an "administrator", I get the same result when I
click on "Save" or "Save and Exit":

Error when writing the channel: com.opencms.core.CmsException: 1 Access
denied. Detailed Error: [com.opencms.file.mySql.CmsResourceBroker]
/default/cos/gregstestchannel/.

I'm running OpenCms 5.0 on Tomcat 4.1.24 on Apache 1.3.26 with MySQL 3.23 (I
think.  I didn't do the installation.)

My third question, again, is: how do you create a channel in OpenCms ?

Thanks in advance,

Greg.