[opencms-dev] Offline working, and synchronising online

CMS Gamos opencms at gamos.org
Tue Mar 23 22:03:02 CET 2004

Subject: Offline working, and synchronising online

Let me apologise in advance if this is a stupid question for this group.  I am not a developer I work in International Development and Humanitarian assistance, in Africa Asia and Latin America.

You may be aware that Africa still has terrible connections.  Yet many people are using computers in remote areas to swap important information.  They often use public centres, called Telecentres.  A Telecentre is offline for most of the day but can go online for a short burst if required.  The telecentre is both a means to get international data from the  web and email, but also to swap local data (content) between users.

Is it possible to run a (Java based) CMS on a personal PC or network (of slow crap computers) such that the user works offline in a browser getting the same cached experience as though they were  on the net, and then having entered content for the dbase, once a day the centre goes online and synchronises its dbase with one held on a server, uploading the new data added by its own users, and getting data (to be cached) from the server for its own use offline.

I can see how I could run a CMS on a PC but is the module or code available for the synchornising?

If the synchronising bit is not really available - how much would a developer charge to create such a system?

I hope its not too dumb a question- please dont shout at me if I am using the wrong lanuage on some detail :)

Simon