[opencms-dev] Whether Export and Import should be done in (Project) Offline OR Online

Roedel, Mark MarkRoedel at letu.edu
Tue Mar 30 16:51:01 CEST 2004

If I remember correctly from our last server move, it's not possible to
*import* into an online project.

If the folder hasn't been modified on the first server since it was last
published, I'd just export the online version, then import and publish
it on the second.

If there are unpublished changes on the first server that you'd also
like to keep, then you might also want to transfer the offline version
after doing the above.

In our case, moving from Server_A to Server_B, the sequence went
something like

	1. export Server_A:Online
	2. export Server_A:Offline
	3. import Server_A:Online to Server_B:Offline
	4. publish Server_B:Offline
	5. import Server_A:Offline to Server_B:Offline

For us, the only drawback of this method was that everything imported in
step 5 then appears as having been modified since the last publish, even
if the offline and online versions are identical.  I don't know if
there's a way around this.  (It hasn't really been a big enough issue to
worry about.)

--
Mark Roedel
Web Programmer / Analyst