AW: [opencms-dev] Further information for my bachelor thesis

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Apr 8 14:25:01 CEST 2004

Here's the text from:

http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/support/faq.html

What is the history of OpenCms?
OpenCms is based on ideas and software developed and deployed since 1994.
The first versions of OpenCms were developed by Alexander Kandzior while
working on various internet projects between 1994 and 1998.

The system showed great potential, but the core business of the company
Alexander Kandzior was working with at the time was to be a professional
internet consultancy and not a software development company, so he decided
to publish OpenCms as Open Source.

The first open source release of OpenCms was issued March 2000. Since then,
OpenCms has been continuosly developed as an Open Source project. A number
of companies and individuals have contributed to the development.

Starting 2002, Alkacon Software, a software development company started by
Alexander Kandzior, has been doing most of the work on the core OpenCms
system. Starting with the 5.0 release, Alkacon Software is also officially
coordinating the further development of OpenCms and the opencms.org website.

That transcript someone else posted a link to has more detailed information
about the time up until 2002 which are quite accurate.

Then there is the history.txt file of OpenCms, which is available at

http://www.opencms.org/cvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/opencms/history.txt?rev=1.
538

it gives you a pretty detailed overview on when what version was released.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts