[opencms-dev] Create group

Thomas M�rz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 30 07:56:01 CEST 2004

Mark Belanger <belanger at fluid.com> writes:

> We too need add a user who only gets access to a single subfolder.
> They can't have User access, because then they could edit the entire
> site. I've tried to create a new group, in indentical configuration as
> a User, where it's parent is Guest.  I'm able to create a new user and
> assign him to the new group.  However, when they login, the systems
> produces the following error:
>
>   Com.opencms.core.CmsException: 10 Unknown User.
>    Detailed error: [OpenCms login failed].

Guest Users must not login to the OpenCms Workspace.

> Based on Thomas' response, it sounds like they have to be part one of
> the primary three groups.  If that's the case, what's the point of
> groups at all?

Think the other way:
      If a user is _not_ member of a new group, e. g. "MoreSpecific",
      he must not see folders with

           Owner   Group         Permissions
           tmaerz  MoreSpecific  rwvrwvr---

We now create a new group "Secret" as subgroup from "MoreSpecific" and
we have two users - userMoreSpecific and userSecret.

        userMoreSpecific sees these folders:

           Owner   Group         Permissions
           tmaerz  MoreSpecific  rwvrwvr---

        userSecret sees these folders: