[opencms-dev] WebUser and WebUser administration

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at amadeus.net
Wed Jun 2 18:21:47 CEST 2004

>Ps: Michael Goodwin: Let me know if I can be of any help creating the
>JSP user administration.

Hi Marcus Redeker ;-)

To let you know how I'm getting on. I'm just modifying the user pages only
(all the stuff under 'edit users'), though this is probably most of the
work. I've gotten quite far in changing it. If I don't get caught up with
something else tomorrow then I should get it done then.

- I've not made the pages localisable (this can be put back quite easily
though)
- Its just a collection of jsp's, logic/form processing embedded at the
top. I'm not sure if this is the best organisation. Or if they can be
better integrated into the workspace, but I guess it probably doesn't
matter.

*****For the developers:*******
Question1/, At the moment groups are stored and handled as vectors. eg.
CmsObject.getGroupsForUser(...) returns a Vector. Would it not be more
appropriate to handle them as a Sets? Internally represented as a hash set
perhaps?

Also I noticed some set operations where being performed in loops on
Vectors. It would be simpler and probably quicker also to use the
Collection operations for intersecting and differencing  a set/collection.
Just in case this applies elsewhere as well.
Following on from this, there must be another implementation of the logic
which finds which groups a user is indirectly in, but there is no public
method (that I can see). I think there is an argument for this, rather than
calculating the same thing in 2 different places.

Question2/, if I'm writing a helper function, where should it go? For
instance theres one 'changeUsers', which is in the old xmltemplate class
for the user editing template. Which class? Which package?

thanks,

Mike.

From:  "Marcus Redeker" <mredeker at web.de>@opencms.org  on 01/06/2004 17:44
       ZE2

Please respond to opencms-dev at opencms.org

Sent by:    opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org

 To:    <opencms-dev at opencms.org>

 cc:

 Subjec RE: [opencms-dev] WebUser and
 t:     WebUser administration

Alex,

thanks for the information. I will then just use my "quick hack" to get
us up and running and it seems that Michael Goodwin is trying to port
the administration part to jsp. So we can just use my hack for now and
when version 6.0 is coming the finished JSP user administration should
be able to handle web-user.

--Marcus