[opencms-dev] Getting Started

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Wed Jun 2 19:03:01 CEST 2004

Bob,

OpenCms is a content management system. Essentially, it is a tool to
manage the process of creating and publishing documents. It focuses on
workflow, the editial process, project management... the sorts of things
you would need if you had a full editorial team. While many users on
this list use OpenCms (successfully) for small sites with only one or
two editors/writers, it is really designed for a larger content team.

It is not necessarily a portal app such as Xoops or PHPNuke. Those
applications are intended to create quick-and-easy websites loaded with
generic features. They tend to focus on delivering lots of functionality
with little or no effort, but (in my experience, at least), they aren't
focused on the needs of an entire editorial team. They are _portal_
apps, not _content management_ apps.

I hope that helps to clear up the general picture.

That said, there are a number of add-on modules available for OpenCms
(including an HTML import module for uploading existing sites). You can
take a look at the ones available on the official opencms.org website,
and you can search this mailing list archive to see others. Many of them
will require at least some familiarity with JSP technology -- in fact,
to really make use of OpenCms, you should have some knowledge of JSP.
But I wouldn't say you need to be a Java guru to use the application,
and there are some good tutorial modules available at the OpenCms website.

Hope that helps,

Matt