[opencms-dev] External editing

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Fri Jul 2 18:07:00 CEST 2004

Tom,

I evaluated creating a module to do this using the SOAP XML protocol. It
can be done... it's just a lot of work (mainly in implementing the
client). I didn't want to do it myself.

In the simplest case, SOAP functions would have to exist for checking
permissions, (un)locking, getting the resource, and posting the edited
resource. Really, that's not too bad.

I also looked at creating a XUL application (Mozilla-specific client
application) which would use Mozilla's composer to do the editing. It
would use the SOAP interface to communicate to the server. This part
would have been pretty difficult, though. Maybe a Python or Java client
would be easier.

If enough people are interested, maybe we should try to target a module
for 6.0. I'm fairly familiar with the OpenCms internals, and would be
excited to work on the communication layer, but implementing the client
editor interface sends chills up my spine. ;-)

Matt