[opencms-dev] Possible Memory Leak in version 5.0.1

Darin Kuntze dkuntze at thinksacco.com
Thu Jul 15 20:38:00 CEST 2004

Are you running the lucene module?

-----Original Message-----
From: opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org [mailto:opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org]
On Behalf Of Eke, Kemi
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 12:11 PM
To: 'opencms-dev at opencms.org'
Subject: [opencms-dev] Possible Memory Leak in version 5.0.1

Hi List

I am currently running Opencms 5.0.1 on RH Linux Advanced Server v3, on
server hardware with 1 GB of RAM. I have 600 users hitting the site and 5
editors. Every one to two days or so for the past month or so, I have had to

restart Tomcat 4.1.30 as I would get OutOfMemory errors with it causing
OpenCMS to stop functioning. I am aware that one can add parameters to
CATALINA_OPTS to allow Java to use a certain size of memory viz -Xmx and
-Xms. I have now written a "restart" script for Tomcat which runs overnight
via cron:

#! /bin/bash
#
# name: tomcat_refresh.sh
with Opencms
#
#
#

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02
CATALINA_HOME=/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms128m -Xmx512m
export JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_OPTS

$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh;
sleep 25;
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh;

Has anyone else experienced these memory problems with Opencms 5.0.1? Are
there any other specific optimisations that can be done to allow the system
to run more efficiently that others know of? I presume the information in
this post refers to an older version of Opencms:
http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2002q3/002414.html.

TIA

Kemi

 Big Lottery Fund corporate logo
<http://ce.audiencemail.net/ce10/content/viewer/126552765/128118151/12811815
2/128118153.gif>

<http://at.audiencemail.net/at10/file/129371900:9caa6ac19abb1a8f543bf2ddd44a
c63/?129371900:9caa6ac19abb1a8f543bf2ddd44ac63>
individual to whom it is addressed. The contents of this message will
not be in any way binding upon the Big Lottery Fund. Opinions, conclusions,
contractual obligations and other information in this message, in so far as
they relate to the official business of the Big Lottery Fund, must be
specifically confirmed in writing by the Big Lottery Fund. If you are not
the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited.