[opencms-dev] Meaning of XML in the Plain contents of a "Page" type resource

Thomas Joseph Olaes thomas.olaes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 19:09:01 CEST 2004

Good morning, list!

Today I have a question regarding "Page" resources. Specifically I'm
talking about the part of the "Page" resource that resides in the VFS
"/system/bodies/...", like if I had a Page resource in the VFS path
(root)/sites/site1/index.html, the part I'm talking about would reside
in (root)/system/bodies/sites/site1/index.html, and that resource
would be of type "Plain".

My question is this, since the structure of this file is:

<? xml version="1.0" encoding="..." ?>
<XMLTEMPLATE>
  <TEMPLATE><![CDATA[ ... (all the HTML of the pages looks like it's
here, with link paths wrapped within <a
href="]]><LINK><![CDATA[/tags/like/this.html]]></LINK><![CDATA[">tags
like this</a>) ... ]]></TEMPLATE>
  <edittemplate><![CDATA[ ... (all the HTML of the pages looks like
it's here, with link paths wrapped within <a
href="]]><LINK><![CDATA[/tags/like/this.html]]></LINK><![CDATA[">tags
like this</a>) ... ]]></edittemplate>
</XMLTEMPLATE>

What are the roles of the <TEMPLATE /> element and the <edittemplate
/> element? I'm looking at one page and see very little difference
between the two. The reason I'm concerned with this is because I'm
writing a cron class that will process the contents of a page, but a
"Page" apparently has two different data elements that I possibly need
to concern myself with, so information regarding these two elements
would help me in my project.

Thanks in advance for any time and assistance provided to this query.

-TJ