[opencms-dev] Re: access to DB fields possible?

Christian Poecher Poecher at gmx.net
Sat Aug 21 17:36:36 CEST 2004

Hi there,

Peter Mueller wrote:
> Background:
> The tool should allow registered users to help expanding (and correcting)the
> content of an existing website about midieval charters. The users should be
> able to add or change field entries of a database, but before these new
> contents go on the regular site they have to be checked by a moderator.

afaik there is no mechanism in OpenCMS that forces a check from a
moderator. All users that can edit content can also post content. Of
course he can edit the content, leave it unpublished and let the
moderator check and publish it, but you cannot force it without core
modifications. If you choose to implement such a thing i bet pretty much
people would be gratful, including our firm :-)

> - MOST IMPORTANT: If I see it right OpenCMS seems to be managing files only.
> Is it also possible to access and edit single fields of database records?
> And if not - how difficult do you think it would be for me to implement that
> feature?

I don't understand what you want to do. Basically you can do everything
from OpenCMS what JSPs can, that includes DB operations via JDBC/SQL.
What do you want to store in the DB?

chris