[opencms-dev] Modules Help!

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Fri Sep 10 10:07:16 CEST 2004

A module is a bundle-mechanism that makes it easy to distribute a
bundle of related resources.

Most modules are simply made in order to make new templates. OpenCms
looks into the modules to find templates, ergo you need a module if you
want to create templates. I suggest that you make a module per site and
put all non-content site relevant stuff in the module, that way things
are neatly organized.

If you want to build administrative modules or the like then you could
look at the module as a way of grouping jars, jsps, html, properties
and other resources. How you subdivide your application is a general
programming discipline not something specific to OpenCms

Modules are described in the documentation available from the opencms
site, the mailinglist archive also provides information on the process,
and now there's even a book that explains the subject (you can find the
reference for it on opencms site)