AW: [opencms-dev] Content Definitions Help

Sebastian Himberger sh at agil-mehr-internet.de
Tue Sep 14 11:23:30 CEST 2004

Hi,

a content definition is basically a extended Java Class following a defined scheme (similar to JavaBeans). A content definition instance represents one item of a defined type (e.g. a news item, a appointment etc.). Often you have additional Java classes managing the database-access and the Administration Panel.

Speaking for OpenCms 5.0.x you have two main choices creating a content definition.

a) writing a normal content definition like explained in the manual on page 67 following. For this approach you normally have to create a database table by yourself (the fields of the table depends on the content you want to store).

b) use the OpenCms Mastermodule which is described on page 81 following in the OpenCms manual. The Mastermodule uses generic database tables provided by OpenCms and the normal OpenCms project-mechanism. Creating a Content Definition using the Mastermodule is a bit tricky and the Mastermodule will be replaced by another module-framework in OpenCms 6.

The user interface can be created using JSPs displaying a list of content definitions, editing forms etc. (These JSPs normally reside in the "administration" directory in the module directory).

The content definition classes are places in the classes directory or packed as a jar in the lib directory of the module.

HTH