[opencms-dev] The Server Side article featuring OpenCms

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Wed Sep 15 06:16:27 CEST 2004

TheServerSide.COM, a Java developer site, is featuring an article on my
OpenCms book.

There are three things of interest (I hope):
1) Sample chapters from the book.
2) An article about extending OpenCms through modules. The article walks
through an example of adding Velocity template support to OpenCms.
3) The complete module and source code are also available for download.
The module is released under the Apache-style license (which is
obviously an Open Source license). After talking with Alexander a while
back, I decided to switch all my new OpenCms development from GPL to Apache.

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=28734

Since he doesn't seem to be acknowledged at the TSS site, I want to
thank Harald directly for lending his eyes and brain to the production
of the article.

I noticed another thread about the book, but answering it directly
seemed to be even more self-promotional than sending this message.
However, I figured I'd add just a word about the state of things:

The book covers version 5.0x. However, my publisher is apparently
thinking about releasing a new version of the book after version 6 is
released. If there is content you'd definitely like to see included in a
new edition/revision of the book, let the Packt people know about it
(there is a form at http://packtpub.com). They are already compiling a list.

Oh, finally, I guess the book was nominated by the JDJ for the best Java
book of the year. That's nice... too bad I'm competing with books from
Sun and IBM. (Thanks, BTW, to whoever nominated me!)

http://sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2004/

Matt