[opencms-dev] out of control database connections

Thomas Kraft thomas.kraft at synyx.de
Tue Sep 21 18:54:42 CEST 2004

> With no activity (the admin is not running, the application is not being
> accessed), OpenCms keeps adding processes to mySql's processlist (these
> are all Sleeping processes that never seem to be removed), taking up
> more and more connections to the database (until eventually it runs
> out). I've included the opencms.properties config info below.
>
> Is there a known problem with OpenCms and runaway connections?

Hi Andy!

We were running into the same problems, it seems to us that the
connection pool in the Version 5 of opencms have problems with the
proper use (and termination) of the connections.

Like many others we solved this problem by upgrading the maximum allowd
connections to the database and running a cronjob which restarts our
tomcat in the night wenn we (hopefully) have no users working on it ;)

Due to the fact that in the new Version 6 of OpenCMS they use a new
connection pooling we are all looking forward to get rid of this problem.

Greetings, Thomas