[opencms-dev] Open CMS and mysql on Debian

Markus Daniel markus.daniel at synyx.de
Wed Sep 29 09:12:24 CEST 2004

>> A useful trick for installation of OpenCMS on Debian
>>
>> On Debian (an maybe on other distrib), the mysql conf (my.cnf) enables
>> the “skip-networking”  option by default.
>

> Not really a trick, but a neccessity :)
> For security reasons Debian disables tcp/ip connections to mysql. When
> enabling networking you should also remember to create secure users by
> using the appropriate grants so that only connections coming from
> authorized client machines are allowed.

You can also edit /etc/init.d/mysql on Debian (not nice but helpfull)

case "$1" in
   'start')
     # Start daemon
     echo -n "Starting MySQL database server: mysqld"

use this ->     /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --bind-address=127.0.0.1 >
/dev/null 2>&1 &

  instead of this -> # /usr/bin/safe_mysqld > /dev/null 2>&1 &
     for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do
       if is_mysqld_alive; then break; fi
           sleep 1
         done
     if is_mysqld_alive; then
           echo "."
     else
       echo "...failed."
     fi
     ;;

then the mysqld is only listening on localhost for security reasons

regards,
Markus