[opencms-dev] Alpha 1 Channels and Scheduled Tasks?

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Sep 30 17:49:05 CEST 2004

> > In reading the book it talks about "Channels" being
> available in the
> > Administration section but I do not see it.
>
> I believe channels are a deprecated feature

Right, channels are only used by the old "master module", and this is a very
deprecated feature. There will be a replacement for channels (currently this
is just in the planning stage). This feature which I call the "Content
Relationship Engine" (CRE) will work with any file in the OpenCms VFS.
Hopefully I can finish the spec soon, I will post to this list for feedback
before we start implementing...

> > For that matter, I also
> > dont see "Scheduled Tasks" under Administration.
>
> The UI for this still needs to be redone, as the new
> scheduler is much better. You can still add jobs by modifying
> opencms-system.xml

Right. Currently we don't plan to have a web interface for the version 6
release. Hoewever everything can be configured in opencms-system.xml so it's
not that big of a loss, the old GUI was akward anyway. There is an API for
adding new tasks so writing a GUI is just not that difficult.

If anyone feels like contributing a GUI (in JSP) for the new scheduler i'll
be ready to support his ;-)

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior