[opencms-dev] Some general question about storing data

tol opencms at recordcaster.de
Wed Oct 6 14:07:12 CEST 2004

Hi!

I've a question in understanding datastoring in opencms. The way to
create an publish html-sites is so far clear. :)

But wht is about storing non-web-data? For example PDFs and music-files?

As I know there are two ways handling big-data files: saving the files
in the filesystem of the OS or write it as BLOBs into a database.

I assume writing to filesystem is the better way? Transfered to the
opencms it is to reason that storing within the opencms (->database) is
not a good idea. Right?

But on the other hand opencms offers a lot of features like locking,
acl, publishing, etc. All that I 've to reimplement by my self if I want
storing it outside opencms. Right too?

What is a good way to handle big files?

best regards
Tol