[opencms-dev] Urgent Opencms hangs Oracle 9IAS 9.0.3

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Thu Oct 21 11:13:36 CEST 2004

	Especially as all servlet engines nowadays provide Connection Pools,
I find it a bit odd that OpenCMS needs to manage connections on its own.

	Alex ? Any plans on this ?

For 6 we did replace the self-developed pool with the DBCP from Apache
Jarkarta, which also Tomcat uses for it's own pool (i.e. we use the same
pool that the Tomcat uses for it's datasources).

There are 2 issues to take into consideration before replacing the current
implementation:

1) The OpenCms shell runs outside the servlet container. I don't want to
loose this functionality. How do we run the shell if the DB configuration is
only available in the servlet container?

2) The setup wizard. Currently the DB configuration is written by the setup
wizard. AFAIK there's no standard way to write a datasource configuration
during servlet container runtime. I don't want to have the configuration
done manually by default, since apparently even in the current state the
setup is an issue for many people. How do we do the setup wizard with
datasources?

A way to go (for 6.0) could be to have an alternative pool implementation
that relys on datasources. This could be configured manually after (or
before?) the setup wizard runs. The pool itself can already be configured in
6.0, maybe we would require some slight changes.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts