[opencms-dev] empty workspace - solved

Andreas Lemke lemke at dialog.uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Nov 8 17:25:18 CET 2004

Hi Martin!

> Alexander Kandzior wrote:
> > The Workplace views are initialized in the class:
> >
> > org.opencms.workplace.CmsWorkplaceManager
> >
> > in the methods:
> >
> > public void initialize(CmsObject cms)
> > private List initWorkplaceViews(CmsObject cms)
>
> Hi Alexander and Andreas,
>
> I have tracked the problem down. The problem is not in OpenCMS itself,
> it is in MySQL. The SQL query which finds the views contains:
>
>   WHERE CMS_ONLINE_STRUCTURE.RESOURCE_PATH LIKE
'/system/workplace/views/_%'

> and this found no rows in the database. It behaves very strange,
> a clause LIKE '/_ystem/workplace/views/_%' finds the resources
> without any problem. In the end, I found that this odd behavior
> was caused by following line in my /etc/mysql/my.cnf:
>
> default-character-set=czech
>
> which specifies character coding, and this also explains why
> other users don't experience this problem ! I solved it
> by changing the line to
>
> default-character-set=latin2
>
> which should specify the same character set, just the ordering
> rules will be different.

Great!!!! It works now. We are normally using latin1_de (for proper sorting
of
German umlaut characters). With the recently released MySQL4.1 one can
specify
character sets and collating sequences on a per table/column base so it
should
be feasible to use a default char set suitable for OpenCMS.

Once again, great work! Thanks!

regards,
   Andreas