[opencms-dev] Accessing mysql-dbms from opencms

Robert Petermeier robert2.0 at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 11:04:59 CET 2004

Andre Bernardini schrieb:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm trying to build a module and need to directly access the dbms to store
> information on customly created tables.
>
> So far I tried "Connection con =
> DriverManager.getConnection("URL","username","password");" in one of my JSPs.

OpenCms uses jakarta commons DBCP. Thus, you can fetch a connection from
the connection pool:

Connection con=
     DriverManager.getConnection(
         CmsDbPool.C_DBCP_JDBC_URL_PREFIX
       + CmsDbPool.C_OPENCMS_DEFAULT_POOL_URL);

Note: I don't know if this is *the* way to get a connection. I found
this out by reading the source plus try-and-error and so far it seems to
work fine.

I understand that creating additional DB tables is discouraged in favor
of creating XML content definitions (which is a great feature, by the
way) but I think in some cases you simply don't want to do without SQL.

Regards,
Robert