[opencms-dev] Postgresql was MySQL is a ...

tony tony at tgds.net
Tue Nov 23 14:42:22 CET 2004

Le mardi 23 novembre 2004 à 14:22 +0100, Tristan Tarrant a écrit :
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 14:12 +0100, tony wrote:
>
> > 1. You have MySQL, Oracle, SAP and (shudder) mssql in the source for
> > 5.0.1. This means that you have written an app that is DB agnostic, this
> > is good. What is the reason for no PostgreSQL?
>
> Because no one has contributed code for PostgreSQL yet.

There was a French guy who posted something then disappeared
http://mail.opencms.org/pipermail/opencms-dev/2004q1/009484.html

and http://www.rcub.bg.ac.yu/~opencms/home.php

I have downloaded this and ran it but there are bugs in the table
definitions: concat(varchar, unknown) which don't seem too scary to
debug. But I don't have access to the source and the person does not
answer his mail.

> > 2. If you don't want PostgreSQL support please be so polite as to say
> > "go away please", I will un-subscribe and go use someone else's CMS.
>
> I believe people would be very interested in having PostgreSQL
> support. I believe the current situation is because PostgreSQL users
> who want to use OpenCMS don't want to/can't write a backend.
> That's it.

You have one who wants to now. Can he? Not wanting to reinvent the wheel
I would prefer picking up where someone else left off. I have read
trough some of the 5.0.1 source and seem to have figured out the basics.
But I am on the sharp end of the opencms learning curve.

It may be more realistic working as a team. PostgreSQl will become a
very interesting option with 8.0 which is the first to run native on
(gasp) windows.

Thank you so much for replying I was feeling all alone and in the dark.

Cheers

Tony Grant