[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 6.0-alpha2 Multi-language support

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue Nov 23 16:21:46 CET 2004

> OK,
>   I think I understand what you're saying, so that leads me
> to my next question.  Since the new editor functionality
> easily allows you to maintain multiple language content
> within the same "html file" in the CMS, can you create a
> single "global" directory containing all those files with all
> the language data embedded in it, and then create various
> "symbolic links" to that directory setting the locale for
> each sym-link to point to that single content location?

Yes, even though there is no "symbolic" link concept in OpenCms, so
basically each link is the same file. It's more like a "hard link". To be
more precise, the DB strcucture of OpenCms allows you to map a resource
(content) to multiple places in the VFS tree. So there is no "Original" and
"Link" but only one original that can be accessed through multiple paths.
BTW properties can be either individual or shared. And you only need to
attach the locale property on one top level folder to be valif for all files
within the folder.

Ok it may sound confusing. Best way is probably to try it for yourself, you
should see what I mean then.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior