[opencms-dev] Re: OpenCMS and Java

Mike Bachrynowski mikeb at tableau.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 10:48:55 CET 2004

The CmsShell interface works well directly from a Java application or
from an Ant task.  In addition I  use the Cms utility classes directly
(for future compatibility reasons).   I am using OpenCms for information
capture. An Ant build exports (exportResoures) and transform the Docbook
fragments produced into the various forms HTML, XHTML, etc for
deployment on to the various servers.   There is an overhead for
initiation of the CmsShell but as I am not connecting between on-line
web applications performance is not an issue for me.

In order to make a "production" workable OpenCms application, I found
you do need to try and understand the source.  In most web apps, text
needs to be is being captured.  It needs to be validated and spell
checked.  It seems to me that the current best way is to extend the
OpenCms classes (though the module mechanism) and run validation
methods.

I would be interested in how others are tackling validation and spell
checking.

Regards

Mike