[opencms-dev] templating

Gavin, Ben BGavin at SkylineTechnologies.com
Tue Nov 30 04:58:01 CET 2004

I agree that something like this is very badly needed.  The demo
templates that are supplied are great at showing some of the advanced
features of the system, but do very little for those who want to just
create a basic template.  Following the examples from the 5.0 system
just doesn't work right on the 6.0 systems.  I would love to see a
decent set of tutorials, for example:

1.  Basic, "Hello World" style template creation, getting a basic
template up and running without requiring external Java Coding and
deriving of classes from the core OpenCMS libraries.

2.  More advanced example showing the addition of a header and footer
template which can change based on the content being displayed [say a
second level menuing system or the like].  Again, preferably without
resorting to custom page template classes like the current demo uses.

3.  Slightly more advanced example, utilizing localization to make the
hello world example above support multiple languages, with the requisite
header/footer links allowing you to choose you language.  Utilizing
custom page classes only as necessary.

4.  The current templateone demo

The problem, as mentioned below, is that most of us don't need 75% of
the functionality present in the templateone demo pages.  I [being
relatively new to JSP in general, but fairly capable of parsing it] am
personally finding it very difficult to trace the system of dependencies
through the system, especially without having any documentation
whatsoever available which is known accurate for the 6.0 codebase.

Unfortunately, the project I'm dealing with needs some of the new 6.0
features [full-on XML content, cross browser editing, etc] and I don't
want to spend a bunch of time building against 5.0 just to have 6.0
released just before the project goes live.  Plus, from what I'm
hearing/seeing, i18n/locale support in the 6.0 codebase is far superior
to what was available in the 5.x branch.

Thanks!
Ben

P.S.  Is there any intention of supporting Version Control integration
into the OpenCMS product itself, without requiring weird hacks to get
the actual code into a real code editor?  Something where the the VFS
[or portions of it] could be represented in a version control system and
edited externally, then refreshed from version control within the
opencms system?  Also handy would be the ability to "roll back" to
earlier versions of the codebase if all hell breaks loose.