[opencms-dev] Re: Modules architecture suggestion alternative

Christian Poecher Poecher at gmx.net
Fri Dec 10 00:19:53 CET 2004

Dmitry wrote:
> It is a "Java Plugin Framework" - small library to be used by developers who
> whant to add "pluggable architecture" to their projects.

> Maybe this library gives you an idea to move OpenCMS modules to plug-ins
> with support of such Framework.

Another alternative is OSGi. I don't know any more details about it, but
a friend relied on it for his diploma thesis and from talking with him I
found he gets JPFs main features, too.

But what I really, really would like to have is something where I can
change the implementation of some plugin at runtime. That is, load class
X, code a bit, unload class X and load a new class X with different
impementation. All at runtime, all without restarting the application.
AFAIK not even OSGi supports that.

chris