[opencms-dev] Integrating OpenCMS with Struts -- How to

Cory Hubert clhubert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:45:44 CET 2004

I concur with Paul.  Don't bother with the sourceforge opencms-struts project.

To use struts in unison with opencms is very simple.

Everything is the same EXCEPT!

* Your jsps are in opencms
*  In your struts-config.xml, when your doing a forward include the
opencms servlet and the full path to the file within the VFS.   So all
your forwards to jsp's would begin with
/opencms/directories-in-vfs/the-file-in-vfs.jsp.   Remember that
opencms is "JUST" a servlet.   So your really doing a forward to the
opencmsservlet with parameters (sorta).  The paramaters being the path
to the file in the vfs.

Setup your web.xml with both the opencms servlet and the struts
servlet.  Put in all the tag libraries that you need from both.  And
that's it, you'll have all the advantages of managing your pages in
opencms and all the mvc capabilites of struts.

The struts-opencms sourceforge project was attempting to put actions,
actionforms, and all the configs files and jars in the VFS.  IMHO I
don't think that's a good idea.

The approach I mentioned, just puts the JSPs in the VFS so it requires
NO code changes to OpenCMS or Struts.

Hope that helps.