[opencms-dev] How To Setup a Cluster

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at etnoteam.it
Wed Dec 15 09:01:01 CET 2004

We are using OpenCMS balanced on 4 servers all pointing to one Oracle
instance.
The only issue we've found is that, when publishing files on one server,
the other instances are not notified of this and need their flexcaches
cleaned. We solved this the simple way by creating a scheduled task
which runs every hour and purges the flexcache.
We also prepared a different implementation based on JGroups which we
will use in a future release. JGroups is a multicast-based
infrastructure which allows autoconfiguration of nodes: as a server is
initialized it automatically joins the network of other servers. We
added an event listener which broadcasts a message whenever a server
publishes something. On receiving this message the other servers clear
their flexcaches.

I believe the best solution, which we haven't had time to develop, would
be to base the flexcache implementation on OSCache. OSCache can use two
methods to broadcast cluster cache messages: JGroups or JMS (for
application servers which provide this feature).

I hope this helps.

Tristan