[opencms-dev] I'm still having issues -- Check memory usage

John Giammarche jgiammarche at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 20:49:43 CET 2004

--- "Paul D. Bain" <paulbain at pobox.com> wrote:

> At 01:53 PM 12/15/2004, John Giammarche wrote:
>
> >Hello everyone...I'm still having problems with my
> >production server, but I'm closer to finding a
> >solution.
> >
> >The last words in catalina.out are:
> >
> >SEVERE: All threads (175) are currently busy,
> waiting.
> >Increase maxThreads (175) or check the servlet
> status
> >
> >Then the java process remains active, but OpenCMS
> >doesn't respond to any requests.
>
>          You may want to check the OpenCMS log file
> as well as the Tomcat
> log file. Also, determine whether Tomcat is still
> responding. Perhaps you
> could try to access the servlets that come with
> Tomcat and are deployed
> when you deploy the typical Tomcat "tarball." If the
> problem lies with
> Tomcat, then you should consider posting your
> request on the Tomcat mailing
> list rather than this one.

I checked that; Tomcat is not responding in any way.
Apache gives the "proxy error" error massage.

>          Also, try to determine what processes are
> active and what they are
> doing, especially Tomcat and the JVM. Make sure that
> the JVM has enough
> memory. You could be running out of memory,
> especially if you are using
> Tomcat and Oracle on the same machine. I see that
> you have only 256 MB of
> DRAM. That could be the problem. Use tools such as,
> for example, the
> commands free, top, or "ps aux | grep catalina."

I did. I start the JVM with -Xmx 350M, and when it
stops responding it is using around 150 MB

> >  As you see, I changed
> >the max number of processors from 75 to 600, but
> the
> >problem persists.
> >
> >I've tried to run tomcat wrapped in the Java
> Servide
> >Wrapper from Tanuki Software, but it doesn't restar
> >the JVM when I need it. Today OpenCMS stopped
> >responding and I didn't even get the SEVERE error
> >message...I don't know if that is the real problem,
> or
> >wwhat to do...
> >
> >I paste below again my machine specs:
> >
> >  CPU: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, HT enabled
>
>          You have just one CPU, but you are using
> hyperthreading (HT) to
> make it behave as _two_ CPU's, is that correct?

Yes, it's correct

> >  RAM: 256 MB
>
>          Two hundred fifty-six (256) MB of memory
> may not be enough. Try
> using the command "free" to determine how Linux is
> using memory. If a lot
> of swap space is being using, then virtual memory
> could be "thrashing."

I don't think so....even if it's not a big RAM, it
should behave well..Oracle is installed in another
machine.

> >  Swap: 1 GB
> >  Kernel:  2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp
>
>          You are using an SMP kernel? And your
> machine has only 256 MB of
> DRAM? That is an odd configuration.

No, it isn't. It's an SMP kernel to take advantage of
Hyper Threading.