[opencms-dev] OpenCMS hosting -- Reasonable price for

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Thu Dec 16 07:55:21 CET 2004

At 03:19 AM 12/15/2004, Erik Thorsen wrote:

>Hello Paul!
>
>[From your post on WebHostingTalk.com,] I saw that you are a skilled
>OpenCms person!! J
>
>I was wondering if you could give me some free advice on web hosting
>companies supporting the OpenCms standard?
>
>I am not looking at paying 200 USD per month for such, just look for the
>best, cheapest basic hosting solution.

Erik,

         Several companies offer OpenCMS hosting. Some of them are listed
on the OpenCMS "solutions providers" page:
http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/support/solution_providers/index.html

There, I suggest that you especially look at the listing for MIVITEC GmbH
(http://www.mivitec.de/), a German company. If you find out what MIVITEC
charges for OpenCMS hosting, please let me know.

         Here is a relevant discussion:
http://opencms-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=256&highlight=webhost

         In this vein, I would like to say that I shall soon begin hosting
OpenCMS. I will probably charge far more than 200 USD per month, however,
because my costs will probably be at least that much (that is, at least
$200 per month per computer). After all, the current, production version of
OpenCMS (version 5.x) does _not_ support virtual hosting, which the OpenCMS
developers call "multi-site hosting." Furthermore, OpenCMS consumes a great
deal of resources (especially memory) because it requires an RDBMS as well
as a servlet container, which would make virtual hosting difficult (even if
virtual hosting were possible).

         Does anyone on the OpenCMS-dev mailing list have an idea of what
would be a reasonable price for hosting OpenCMS? When answering this
question, please consider that I plan to help my hosting customers
considerably. I shall _not_ merely provide them with an installation of
OpenCMS. Rather, I plan to help them administer OpenCMS, develop under it,
and integrate it with other development tools (e.g., Struts and perhaps
Matt Butcher's Velocity module for OpenCMS). Furthermore, I plan to
administer Tomcat, MySQL, and Linux, too, because many Java developers know
little about administration, for example, web administration or database
administration.

         With respect to the pricing of CMS hosting, an important factor to
keep in mind is the price that the competition is charging. The "leading"
CMS application service provider (ASP) in the USA, Crown Peak, charges a
minimum of 3,000 USD ($3,000) per month for its CMS services. See
www.CrownPeak.com. I believe that it also charges an initial, "set-up" fee
of several thousand US dollars. Furthermore, Crown Peak's software is not
open source, so you cannot modify it or develop modules for it (as you can
with OpenCMS), and you probably could not easily migrate your content from
their servers to another hosting provider's servers, as you can with OpenCMS.