[opencms-dev] Installation problems with OpenCMS 6.0 Alpha 2

nick-opencms at nick-andrew.net nick-opencms at nick-andrew.net
Mon Dec 20 16:01:44 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 11:19:49PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
> I guess: your problem with 5.0.1 installation could be the encoding
> problem or the version of your xerces xml-parser.
> Try to use iso-8859-1 as default encoding of your jvm: to do that set
> JAVA_OPT=-Dfile.encoding="ISO-8859-1"

The fatal error occurred just before the test for the filename
encoding - and in fact the filename encoding was correct; it was
dying somewhere in an opencms class.

> And probably after the installation you have to copy the
> xerces-1_4_4.jar from opencms/WEB-INF/lib to
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed directory.

If I can't get 6.0a2 going then I'll go back to 5.0.1 and try that.

> In the case of opencms 6 alpha 2 installation, It seems that the jasper
> jsp-compiler of your tomcat 4.1.x (x=?) could be old, try to use tomcat
> 5.0.29 (or latest) and the latest SUN jdk 1.4.2 (It didn't work for me
> with IBM and BEA jrockit compiler). For production / development use of
> opencms take the latest HEAD from cvs and build it from source, it's
> very easy.

I'm not a java person at all; I'm using the latest tomcat4 available
on debian sarge, and the jdk 1.4.2 from www.blackdown.org. I'm not
confident to recompile any of this stuff. Is there another version
which is not so bleeding edge?

Nick.