[opencms-dev] Installation problems with OpenCMS 6.0 Alpha 2

Nick Andrew nick-opencms at nick-andrew.net
Tue Dec 21 04:08:14 CET 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:20:56PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
> What does
> java --version

goober:~# java --version
Unrecognized option: --version
goober:~# java -version
java version "1.4.2-01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
Blackdown-1.4.2-01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-01, mixed mode)

> echo $CATALINA_HOME

Tomcat4 is running from /etc/init.d and $CATALINA_HOME is set in
that script, and it is:

NAME=tomcat4
CATALINA_HOME=/usr/share/$NAME

So /usr/share/tomcat4

/usr/share/tomcat4/webapps is a symlink to /var/lib/tomcat4/webapps

> echo $PATH

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

> and
> javac

goober:~# javac
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
  -g                        Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                   Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source}    Generate only some debugging info
  -nowarn                   Generate no warnings
  -verbose                  Output messages about what the compiler is doing
  -deprecation              Output source locations where deprecated APIs are used
  -classpath <path>         Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>        Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>     Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>           Override location of installed extensions
  -d <directory>            Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>      Specify character encoding used by source files
  -source <release>         Provide source compatibility with specified release
  -target <release>         Generate class files for specific VM version
  -help                     Print a synopsis of standard options

No version number sorry!

Both java and javac execute from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/bin/

> What's exactly the latest version of tomcat4 on debian sarg?

The one I have installed:

goober:~# dpkg --list tomcat4\*
||/ Name                 Version              Description
+++-====================-====================-========================================================
ii  tomcat4              4.1.30-6             Java Servlet 2.3 engine with JSP 1.2 support
ii  tomcat4-admin        4.1.30-6             Java Servlet engine -- admin web interfaces
ii  tomcat4-webapps      4.1.30-6             Java Servlet engine -- documentation and example web app

4.1.30-6 which should be the 6th Debian release of tomcat4 4.1.30
Or if there's no 4.1.30 then it would be tomcat 4.1 and the package
has been through a few revisions within the Debian process.

> Please send the first 20 lines of your trace (error log) on this list.

Hmm, am retrying the setup process and now it's going further than
before. I'll report back here when it's done, and tell you whether
it worked or failed!

Thanks,

Nick.