[opencms-dev] Strange characters - encoding???

Ulrich Rueth lists at rueth.info
Sat Jan 8 17:13:34 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm getting strange characters on my OpenCms 6 alpha 3 generated web pages.
German Umlaute cannot be displayed correctly, even when I set <meta
HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html"; charset="ISO-8859-1"> in the
HTML header. Sometimes (I cannot really reproduce when exactly) OpenCms
replaces German Umlaute in my xmlcontent files (edited by htmlarea) with
those strange characters.

What do I have to do that everything runs smoothly?

- Where can I change the OpenCms default encoding, which seems to be UTF-8,
but I want ISO-8859-1?
- Do I have to manually set the content-encoding for each file in its
properties?
- Shall I rather use <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> as first
line in my xmlcontent files?

Thanks and regards
Ulrich