[opencms-dev] experiences and limits with Tomcat and Resin

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Mon Jan 24 04:49:36 CET 2005

At 04:13 PM 1/23/2005, Fabio Agostini wrote:

>I've been using OpenCms since 2 years. In these years I have noticed that
>even in different settings of installation, but always with tomcat+apache,
>this application goes in OutOfMemory with a frequency directly
>proportional to the traffic loading.
>
>Without using Apache, therefore using Tomcat as webserver standalone, the
>limit rises up, but there is always a limit! A very hard problem is that
>Tomcat crashes itself: just one stressed  web-application causes the
>OutOfMemory of all the applications running in the servlet container.
>
>This behaviour, shared with the old IIS as well, is very dangerous...
>Afterwards it's necessary to restart the whole service in order to restore
>the situation.

Fabio,

         First, others have reported performance problems while running
OpenCMS on Tomcat. See this:

1.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.debian.maint.java/browse_thread/thread/81c559d8eefb9af2/705e7733e098f467?q=%22Tomcat+java+memory+consumption%22+group:linux.debian.maint.java&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_epq%3DTomcat+java+memory+consumption%26safe%3Dimages%26as_ugroup%3Dlinux.debian.maint.java%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#705e7733e098f467

Second, you can load balance Tomcat. See these:

2.  http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/

3.  http://bob.marlboro.edu/~msie/2002/it2/s5.html

4.  http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/07/17/tomcluster.html

>In the stress-tests I made, Resin is much more trustworthy: when it comes
>up to the limit that it is able to undergo, it generates 500-error-pages
>over the users in excess, without any crash of the service. When the
>back to 0!
>
>For this reason I am ready to change webserver, although I'm finding
>several compatibility problems with Resin.

         Third, I understand that the servlet container Jetty has improved
a great deal recently. Your choice is not restricted to just Tomcat or
Resin. You could try Jetty. Alternatively, you could try a new JVM with
Tomcat. Perhaps you could try the IBM JVM, Kaffe, or Sable's JVM, instead
of the JVM from Sun Microsystems.

>My problem is connected with the inclusion loop in which fall many of the
>newsletter's subscribers. The html pages with the dynamic template do work
>very well, while the jsp pages have problems if they include more of one
>elements of the template.
>
><snip>
>
>I'm using Resin 3.0.10 (or Tomcat 5) and OpenCms 5.0.1
>OpenCms 6alpha3 seems not to be pleased with Resin... :(

         Finally, the fact that OpenCMS _6_ does not work well with Resin
is not surprising given Resin's history of poor support for OpenCMS.
OpenCMS _5_ did not well run in Resin, either, at least not until recently.
If I recall correctly (IIRC), this failure arose because Resin strayed from
the servlet specification.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain