[opencms-dev] ver. 6 a3 - EVERYONE, READ THIS!!

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 21:58:47 CET 2005

At 11:38 AM 1/28/2005, Daniel Beinlich wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am newbie with opencms and I would like to know how I can get xml output
>instead of html output. The funktion to manage the articles in OC **6a3**
>would
>be perfect for my requirements.

Daniel,

         When you were having problems with the news module a few days ago,
were you using ver. 6, not ver. 5? If so, you probably should have told us
that because THAT could be the cause of your problem with the news module.
The news module (the one by M.Miller) was written *over one year ago*,
which means that it was written for ver. 5, NOT ver. 6.

         If you had told us this information several days ago (when you
first requested help from us), you could have saved everyone, including
*yourself*, a great deal of time. When I replied to your request for help
(RFH), I assumed that you were using ver. 5, and, indeed, I used the term
"ver. 5" in one of my replies to your RFH. Upon reading that term ("ver.
5") in my reply, you should have known that I *assumed* that you were using
ver. 5, NOT ver. 6. You have wasted a great deal of my time, and I am
angry. PLEASE do NOT do that again. If you waste our time, then we are less
likely to help you!!

I SUGGEST THAT *EVERYONE* READ THIS:

Please do NOT post a request for help to this list until you have searched
the list's archives. Furthermore, when requesting help, always supply the
information below. You are more likely to get help if we do not have to
prod you for information!!

A. The most recent contents of these log files:

         1. opencms.log
         2. catalina.out -- if you are using Tomcat
         3. The MySQL log file -- on Debian Linux, it is <hostname>.log

B. Your environment and configuration, in order of importance:

-- OpenCMS (OC) version number, for example (e.g.), ver. 5 or ver. 6.
-- Servlet container and its version number, e.g., Tomcat (ver. 4 or 5.x),
Jetty, or Resin.
-- RDBMS and its version number, e.g., MySQL (ver 3.2x or 4.x), Oracle, or
MS SQL Server.
-- JDK, including both: (a) compiler and its version (e.g., Sun, Blackdown,
IBM's Jikes, or GCJ), and (b) JVM and its version, e.g., Kaffe or SableVM.
-- Operating system and its version, and, if using Linux, the distribution
and its version number, too. For example:

                 -- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, ver. 3
                 -- SuSe Linux, ver. 9
                 -- Debian Woody or Debian Sarge ("Testing")

-- If you are using Linux, the identity of your package manager is
sometimes relevant, too. In those cases, state whether you installed the
software packages above using a package management system (e.g., RPM, dpkg,
Stow, emerge, or "Apt for RPM") or manually instead.
-- The version of the JDBC driver is probably not necessary unless you have
replaced the JDBC driver that the OC setup wizard installs during the OC
installation.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain