[opencms-dev] Install version compatibility - Tomcat 5.0.19 & JDK 1.4.2

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Tue Feb 15 23:37:30 CET 2005

At 03:08 PM 2/15/2005, P.Hill & E.Goodall wrote:

>I'm just starting with OpenCMS. I installed after tripping over
>encoding and making sure root on mysql had enough priviledges and
>no password.
>
>But now I get to the page
>Attention: Your system uses components which have not been tested to work
>with OpenCms. It is possible that OpenCms will not run on your system.
>
>JDK version:    1.4.2_05
>Servlet engine:    Apache Tomcat/5.0.19
>
>Is that not good enough?
>
>I ask because after finishing all setup wizard pages, I try
>http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/system/login/
>and get a 404
>description The requested resource () is not available.

Paul,

         At least one other OpenCMS (OC) user has reported problems when
using Tomcat (TC) 5.0.19 and the 1.4.2 JDK. He solved the problem by
upgrading TC. See this email:

1.  From Claus Priisholm, 31 Jan. 2005, "Re: 5.0.1 and Java 1.4.2 - with TC
4.1."

         On the other hand (OTOH), another user has reported success with
TC 5.0.19, at least when his TC was linked to Apache using mod_jk (but I
cannot understand why such linkage would make any difference). See this email:

2.  From Kaffamanesh, 30 Nov. 2004, "HowTo: Apache2-Tomcat5-OpenCMS
Integrating on SLES9."

         A third user apparently had problems with the combination of JDK
1.4.2 and TC 5.0.16 and recommended that OC users avoid the 1.4.2 JDK. See
this email:

3.  From Mariano Barcia, 9 Feb. 2004, "Tomcat 5.0.16 usage."

         What conclusions can we draw from these users' varied experiences?
Well, these experiences suggest that, if you are  having problems with an
OC installation, sometimes you can solve your problems simply by changing
your version of TC or the JDK. None of the users above indicated which JDK
they were using, so it was probably Sun's JDK, rather than that of another
JDK maker (e.g., IBM). BTW, you can still download the 1.4.1 JDK from Sun's
website.

         It would not hurt to restart TC -- perhaps that will solve your
problem.

         Finally, if you need more help, please remember that, when
requesting help, you should supply the information below. You are more
likely to get help if we do not have to prod you for information.

A. The most recent contents of these log files:

         1. opencms.log
         2. catalina.out -- if you are using Tomcat
         3. The MySQL log file -- on Debian Linux, it is <hostname>.log

B. Your environment and configuration:

-- OpenCMS (OC) version number, for example (e.g.), ver. 5 or ver. 6.
-- Servlet container and its version number, e.g., Tomcat (ver. 4 or 5.x),
Jetty, or Resin.
-- RDBMS and its version number, e.g., MySQL (ver 3.2x or 4.x), Oracle, or
MS SQL Server.
-- JDK, including both: (a) compiler and its version (e.g., Sun, Blackdown,
IBM's Jikes, or GCJ), and (b) JVM and its version, e.g., Kaffe.
-- Operating system and its version, and, if using Linux, the distribution
and its version number, too. For example:

                 -- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, ver. 3
                 -- SuSe Linux, ver. 9
                 -- Debian Woody or Debian Sarge ("Testing")

-- If you are using Linux, state whether you installed the software
packages above using a package management system (e.g., RPM, dpkg, Stow,
emerge, or "Apt for RPM") or manually instead.
-- The version of the JDBC driver is probably not necessary unless you have
replaced the JDBC driver that the OC setup wizard installs during the OC
installation.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain