[opencms-dev] Installing in ROOT fails but works when normal

Daniel Rhoden drhoden at iiwinc.com
Mon Feb 28 23:55:21 CET 2005

I am repeating this exact process now on a different, but exactly
configured system.

   1. Changed opencms.war to cms.war and uploaded it using the Tomcat
      manager web application.
   2. Clicked through the setup and confirmed that I could log into OpenCMS.
   3. In folder $CATALINA_HOME/ (pwd = /opt/tomcat5/) I executed:
      jar cvf ROOT.war -C webapps/cms/ .
   4. (note the period at the end of the command is a part of the command)
   5. Change the user and group of the ROOT.war file to the same that
      tomcat is executed under
      chown tomcat:tomcat ROOT.war
   6. Using the Manager web application, remove the existing '/' site
      (Undeploy).
   7. confirm the ROOT folder has been removed from the webapps folder:
      ls -l webapps/
   8. Move your new ROOT.war file into webapps:
      mv ROOT.war webapps/
   9. Wait 10 seconds and then press the up arrow twice to repeat the
      command and confirm that you should now see a ROOT folder and a
      ROOT.war file
      ls -l webapps/
      Applications to see the new "/" location.
  11. Clicking on that should take you to the Directory Listing of ROOT
      application.  Add "opencms/system/login/" to that url to confirm
      everything is still working.
  12. You have now completed the installation of OpenCMS into the ROOT
      location of Tomcat.
  13. Follow the rest of the directions in the documentation.

Hope this is useful.

Please give me feedback!

--Daniel Rhoden