[opencms-dev] Configuration problems after changing logging configuration

Erik-Jan Spaans E.J.Spaans at inter.NL.net
Wed Mar 2 21:58:45 CET 2005

Hi All,

After installation of OpenCMS 6 beta 1 (what a smooth installation
procedure!) on Tomcat 5.0.24. my OpenCMS instance worked just fine.
Now I changed the opencms.properties file as follows
old:
log.log4j.configuration=this
new:
log.log4j.configuration=
So I left it blank, as the documentation suggests, to be able to
configure log4j elsewhere (in common/classes to be precise).
As a result (apparently), the OpenCMSServlet fails to startup. When
accessing a resource, e.g. http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms, an
HTTP Status 500 error message is shown, reading: "OpenCms not properly
configured".
When accessing another resource in the opencms webapp, e.g.
http://localhost:8080/opencms/setup, the setup wizard shows up as
expected. So the webapplication is more or less deployed OK, only the
OpenCmsServlet is not.

Anybody any idea wether my change could cause the OpenCmsServlet not to
start up as it should? I looked into the source and saw that parsing the
properties file (and of course the logging properties in there) plays an
important role in initing the OpenCmsServlet, so sth. might go wrong
there....

Best regards,
EJ