AW: [opencms-dev] menu in different languages

Andras Balogh andras at reea.net
Wed Mar 9 10:14:17 CET 2005

Hello,

Kai Schliemann wrote:

> Hi Marek,
>
>  ... A very top menu (like startseite, ... suche) and a very bottom
> menu (like Barrierefrei, Impressum) is in German, but the left
> navigation menu and the top navigation menu is still in English!
> ... Theses menues are not multilanguage. Only the two navigation items
> in the menu under "Templateone Demo Pages > Multilanguage Demo" are
> multilanguage.
>
> ... The problem is that I cannot make a sibling to a folder!...
> Of course you can. Just create a folder (test_de), add it to
> navigation, add the property value "de" to the locale property and
> create a page in this folder.
> Now copy the folder by checking the radio button at " Copy no
> resource, just create siblings of all resources in the folder "  to
>  test_en.
> In the copied folder change the locale property to "en". That's it!
>  (Well, theoretically I can make a sibling to a folder but in fact
> opencms creates a copy of the folder, which is not very elegant).
> That is kind of true. Actually it is not copy but a link (or sibling).
> Unfortunately I don't know an other solution to create a multilingual
> website in OpenCms. And as the demo was made like that I assume, that
> there is no other.
>
> Has anyone else found an other solution? I would be very interested in
> that.

Another way would be  to have only one directory structure  and files
and the properties and page elements to be language dependent like:
NavText_de, NavText_en, body_de, body_en etc.
This solution has some drawbacks because You may need to create custom
"Add to Navigation" pages is workplace and also in the
Editor the Language dropdown will be a little confusing since the
language  is controlled with the element (ie. body_de,body_en).
I think there should be lot more discussion related to this subject
since multi-language is an important feature and it will be used a lot.

> Regards
> i.A. Kai Schliemann
> IT-Consultant
>
> comundus IT-Beratung GmbH
> Schüttelgrabenring 3, 71332 Waiblingen
>
> Tel:    +49 (0) 71 51-5 00 28-0   Fax: -99
>
> www.comundus.com <http://www.comundus.com/>
> www.comundus-e-quality.com <http://www.comundus-e-quality.com/>

Best regards,
Andras.