[opencms-dev] sharing 1 database amongst 2 opencms instances

George Michaelides MichaelidesG at ealing.gov.uk
Fri Mar 11 11:18:05 CET 2005

I am writing from a government organisation in the UK.

We have a site due to go live very soon with opencms; the way we have
had to deploy this in our production environment involves 2 opencms
instances sharing 1 common MySql database.

One instance is the external facing that lives in a DMZ and the other
is the internal (protected) that gives access to the workplace for the
editors. The DMZ has port 80 open on the outward path and 3306 (for
mysql) on the inward side. Every other port is blocked fpr security.

I have deployed the protected instace properly, but for the DMZ I have
bypassed the recreation of the tables & import of the workplace from the
install pages. Additionally, I have copied all relevant class files,
images as well as the registry.xml of the internal instance to the DMZ
so that all necessary script etc can be called from that opencms
servlet. Lastly, I have coded a java filter to stop external access to
the login page. The site is dynamic so all data lives in the database.

Once all installed, then all can be viewed via both instances ok.

A problem however arises when the editors publish any resource other
that plain type; it successfully copies it to the online project on the
protected instance (and can be viewed ok) but the external one does not
pick it up. If however, you restart tomcat on the DMZ instance, the page
refreshes successfully.

It seems that it is a caching problem with the database but not sure in
what way; it's not element caching as I disabled that and it still
doesn't work.

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem? I have tried
everything possible on my side but cannot find a solution. We have a
very tight deadline.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

george