[opencms-dev] How? /cgi-bin/ and OpenCMS ROOT installation?

Daniel Rhoden drhoden at iiwinc.com
Wed Mar 16 16:51:18 CET 2005

I couldn't find anything in the official docs that explains what '!'
means in this context, so I just went with my gut.

I ended up creating a symlink in the ROOT folder for the /cgi-bin folder
and pointed it to /var/www/cgi-bin and that seems to solve the problem,
sort of.  There are a few things about this that makes it appear sloppy
for virtual hosting, but hey, it works.

So, in summary, added the following to the virtual host entry of
httpd.conf to allow access to /cgi-bin:

ProxyPass   /cgi-bin/   !

And then create a symlink like so:
pwd = /opt/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT/
ln -s /var/www/cgi-bin/ ./cgi-bin

Then restart httpd.

Also, because SEO is such a big concern nowadays, you might be
interested in the change I made in the opencms-importexport.xml file.  I
also removed the $SERVLET_NAME variable from the vfs path.  Otherwise,
every single link created with <cms:link> has /opencms/ at the
beginning, and thus, *every* link becomes a redirect (SEO anathema).

Thanks for your help and hope you have a great day!

--Daniel Rhoden