[opencms-dev] Re: Setup Wizard error - ver. 6 b1 - How to increase logging

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Fri Mar 25 01:20:05 CET 2005

Brice Ruth wrote:
> Follow-up note. I have now tried OpenCms 6b1 on RedHat EL 3.0, w/
> Tomcat 5.0.30, IBM JDK 1.4.2 and I experienced the same problem as on
> XP - the installation completes successfully, but the welcome page is
> simply blank.
>
> Brice

Brice,

	Make certain that your browser is able to pop-up a new window. You must
enable the browser to pop-up a window, and pop-up blockers must be
turned off. You must also enable Javascript and do one or two other
things with respect to the browser. Right now, I cannot remember what
the other things are.

> No errors on the console, that I can see. What can I do to
> increase the logging?

	Your later email (the one that you sent shortly after this one) states
that you are using OC ver. 6, beta 1. Is that correct? I have not yet
succeeded in installing that version, but, IIRC from others' comments,
that version allows you to increase the level of logging by changing
settings in the main OC configuration file, "opencms.properties".

> A related question ... when going through the setup wizard and
> selecting an SQL-92 compatible database (I haven't tried this yet) -
> the only option provided for db/table creation is to create both the
> database and the [database] creation [sic; "connection", not "creation"].
 > Yet, with many database systems, the
> database instance needs to be created beforehand (MaxDB by MySQL, for
> instance). Will the setup wizard handle this gracefully?

	The DB server needs to be running at the time you begin the
installation. In version 5 of OC, the setup wizard installs a JDBC
driver (one that is appropriate for your DB server, e.g., MySQL) and
causes it to make a connection to the DB server.

	I HTH.

Sincerely,
Paul Bain