[opencms-dev] (6b1) Xml Content, The point of "unbounded" elements

Daniel Rhoden drhoden at iiwinc.com
Thu Mar 31 17:58:30 CEST 2005

If I understand you correctly, the maxOccurs is set to 'unbounded'
because you can have as many of those nodes as languages.  That makes
sense and definitely has enormous power.  However, I think that
XML/Structured content would be so much more powerful if it were not
assumed to have a single application (local specific content).  Let me
explain.

The idea of defining a schema driven interface would be very powerful
for the management of configuration files.  Because configuration files
would only be used internally, it doesn't matter what local it belongs
to.  Here is an example application.  I am writing a custom 404 error
page that, depending on the settings/entries in the configuration file,
will redirect (301 or 302) or forward the user to another resource based
upon the requested resource.  This would be used to preserve page rank
during a site's restructuring (and other purposes).  I think there are
so many other ways that a schema driven interface could be used if it
were not limited to a single application of local-specific data.

With this example in mind, do you see a way that this feature can be
added to the interface without hurting the requirements of
local-specific data management?

Thank you very much for your time and thought,

--Daniel Rhoden