[opencms-dev] How to move content properly

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Tue May 3 08:41:59 CEST 2005

> >This approach should work for updating the links in the HTML
> > of xmlpages.
> >Other links, like links set in properties, won't be updated.
> >

> Usually content autors don't change the properties in the "extended"
> tab.

Well that's something depending on the templates and application. E.g. the
"templateone" has many properties that are in fact links to files or
folders.

> The set internal links using the wysiwyg editor.
> Unfortunatly they often change the strultur of her site and
> rename files and folders.

This is certainly an important use case.

> Do you plan a better solution for later releases of ocms?

Without going into detail link management will be a feature of the Content
Releationship Engine (CRE). The CRE will be adding new tables for maintaning
link structure etc. This will allow for fast broken link detection, e.g. if
someone deletes a linked file he/she should get a dialog saying "this file
is still linked..." etc.

However it's unlikley that this feature will be implemented soon. We might
be able to start working on this in Q4/05, and hopefully finish it in Q1/06.
Depending on (paying) customers requirements, the schedule may either be
advanced or delayed.

In short, we will see this feature, but likley not within the next 12
months. If you want somthing working now, the approach you suggested is the
way to go.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior