[opencms-dev] Upgrading to Version 6

Michael Emmerich emmerich at german-navy.de
Fri May 13 20:00:48 CEST 2005

Pedro,

 > As the release date for version 6 approaches, I was wondering what major
 > changes will have to be worked out in order to upgrade from version 5.
 > One of my largest concerns is that the templates that I had developed in
 > version 5 will become incompatible because of file system changes, as
 > well as API changes.

if you are using JSP Templates in your OpenCms 5 already and not the old
xml templates, you can upgrade them.

If your templates used the cms-taglib there is nothing to do. For the
scriplet code, you have to adjust the package names - in most cases this
enough to get them work again.

The API - the CmsObject - has changed, but it should be not too
difficult to make the required changes in yiur JSps. Those JSPs I
migrated from OpenCms 5 to 6 did not require those changes anyway.

> Another concern will be moving the content and settings we have in
> version 5 over to version 6. In other words, can we upgrade the
> application all while using the same database (our system is using an
> Oracle database in the backend)?

Content migration is done automatically by using the OpenCms export and
import functions. There are a few manul steps to do after you have
imported your content in the OpenCms 6 installation, but there will be a
documentation what to do then.

Regards,
Michael Emmerich

Home   : emmerich at german-navy.de