[opencms-dev] Installation issues - Incompatible compiler & JRE

Ethan Baldridge ethan at 35mmeyes.com
Wed May 25 08:05:03 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 00:42 -0400, Paul D. Bain wrote:
> Ethan Baldridge wrote:
> > Installing the SDK instead of the RE didn't solve the issue, the error
> > message seems to suggest though that the problem is probably in the
> > compile stage, before it even hits the runtime.
>
> Ethan,
>
> 	Please DO NOT "top post." Reply to another person's comments and
> questions "in-line" by placing your comments directly beneath those that
> you want to reply to. Your following this practice makes it much easier
> for other people to follow the discussion.
>
> > Honestly, I don't know what it's using to run the bytecode - I don't see
> > an option to change it in any of the files in /etc/tomcat. I merely
> > assumed it was the java runtime environment. I also don't see an option
> > to change what it compiles with, but I assume it's gcj both from the
> > error messages and also the fact that the RPM of tomcat installed has a
> > dependency on gcj. Since the RPM required it, I assumed that was normal
> > and not needed to explain. I apologize if my assumption was incorrect.
> >
> > Tomcat itself works just fine, I can view the examples and whatnot
> > perfectly.
> >
> > localhost is the name of the default virtual host served by tomcat - I
> > haven't seen a need to change the name, which is after all, merely a
> > reference. The log file produced by tomcat for this virtual host is
> > therefore, localhost.log
>
> 	OK, that is fine. In earlier versions of Tomcat (e.g., ver. 1.4.x),
> Tomcat's log file was called "catalina.out" (by default), not
> "localhost.log". Perhaps this name ("localhost.log") is peculiar to Red
> Hat distributions, such as Fedora Linux.

I've used versions with catalina.out before, but it's been a few years.
I thought catalina.out was the console output from the tomcat process
though. In this installation, that's taken care of by tomcat.log.
There's a Logger section in the server.xml file that sets up
localhost.log - they have different messages in them. Sorry for the
confusion.

> > I appreciate you're trying to help, but I think you're being a little
> > confrontational. I did post the error message in my earlier email, in
> > fact it was at the very top of it. I will quote the first few lines
> > below.
>
> 	OK, I erred. My email client did not properly display the entire email
> thread, just part of it. I apologize for seeming to be confrontational.
>
>   > I understand that you answer a lot of silly questions on this list,
>
> 	I do? I "answer a lot of silly questions on this list?" Well, I will be
> damned. From time to time, I ask a few silly questions, too.
>
> > and
> > I understand that mine may simply be another one.
>
> 	I do not think that your question is "silly." Rather, I think that you
> need to learn a bit more about Tomcat, Java, and J2EE Web
> administration. I shall reiterate my earlier suggestion: make certain
> that your compiler and JRE are compatible by ensuring that they share
> the same version and are from the same creator, e.g., Sun,
> Blackdown.org, GNU, etc.

I haven't found anything about how to set this in the Tomcat
documentation. The default config files have no option for setting it
either. Can you help me out with this? I'd be happy just using the javac
in Sun's SDK if I could.

Thank you,
Ethan