[opencms-dev] Opencms Linux DISTRO

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:56:04 CEST 2005

I'm not sure this would be useful for production use. I think most
people will want to install OpenCMS on some existing infrastructure.

However a live distro which can demo the software could be useful.
Many people go through a difficult process of evaluating several
packages before choosing one. The quicker someone can be up and
running to try the software out, the more likely it's going to make it
to the final short list. I must say that OpenCMS did well in that
regard. Configuration of the webapp was very easy. However I can see
MySQL setup being a problem for some novice users.

Can you take something like Knoppix, remove most of the usual stuff
and add Firefox + MySQL + Java (does licence allow distribution?) +
Tomcat. Should fit in about 200MB? BTW: There is a GIS version of
Knoppix to demo several GIS packages. Persisting the database across
reboots might be a problem.

Anyway, I think it would be nice, but I would consider it low priority.

Joe.