[opencms-dev] Installation issues - Tomcat + GCJ

Paul D. Bain paulbain at pobox.com
Thu May 26 21:52:04 CEST 2005

cherif wrote:

> HI Paul D.,
> Have you seen my post ?

	Yes, I read it, but was not aware that you wanted me to reply. I  shall
reply twice, this email being one of the replies.

> I wonder what is your opinion, and [why] Ethan's posts
> are all empty?

	Why are Ethan's posts empty? I am able to read Ethan's replies to my
posts. They do not appear to be empty. Are you _not_ able to see his posts?

	In Ethan's most recent post (on 25 May 2005, at 1623), he stated that
he had solved his problem. Here is an excerpt on his most recent post:

-----------------< BEGIN >-----------------------------
>>> So the problem is actually entirely different than what we were
>>> thinking. The file has already been compiled, it's not using gcj to
>>> compile it, only libgcj to interpret the java bytecode. There is
>>> actually an error in the Java interpretation.
>>>
>>> The only question is, are you supposed to be allowed to use an int as a
>>> parameter in a regular expression check? If so, then a patch needs to be
>>> submitted to gcj (at least, unless they've fixed that in a more recent
>>> version than 3.3.4). Otherwise, the error is in the OpenCMS source.
>>>
>>> Ethan>
>
> I removed the FC2 ["Fedora Core 2"] version of Tomcat
> (which is apparently hardwired to
> use libgcj for the bytecode interpreter) and installed Tomcat 5.5.9 -
> [my] being able to use J2SDK 1.4.2 instead [of GCJ] solved everything.

	I wonder whether the combination of Tomcat and GCJ can cause problems
with an OpenCms installation. Is anyone else using this combination
(Tomcat + GCJ) with OpenCms? It would be good to know.